One of the world's earliest suspension bridges, this crossing of the River Conwy was designed by Thomas Telford, and building was completed in 1826. The bridge's support towers were designed in a similar style to the turrets of the adjacent castle. Before the bridge was built travellers wishing to cross the river Conwy had to either use a ferry, or travel 14 miles inland to Llanrwst to cross the river. As traffic volume grew, the limited capacity of the suspension bridge made it a bottleneck on the North Wales coast road, and a new single arch bridge opened to traffic in 1958. Now in the care of the National Trust, the suspension bridge can only be crossed on foot.