Llanddwyn Island Lighthouse
Twr Mawr (big tower) was, from 1845 until 1976, the lighthouse which marked the rocky peninsula near the south west corner of Anglesey known as Llanddwyn Island. Built in a conical style, perhaps inspired by the design of Anglesey's windmills, this 35ft tower with an effective height above sea level of 82ft was visible from 7 miles away. The original 'Twr Bach' beacon just across the bay, equipped with a directional flashing light, replaced Twr Mawr as lighthouse for Llanddwyn in 1976.
- Taken: on 16 April 2010
- Postcode: LL62 5LR
- Nearest place: Newborough
- Places to stay around Caernarfon
- OnlineWales Internet Ltd © 2010