The Arch near Devil's Bridge
Built to mark the Golden Jubillee of George III in 1810 by Thomas Johnes, owner of the nearby Hafod Estate, the Arch (which is about one and a half miles from Devil's Bridge on the A4574) marks the point where the road across the Cambrians to Rhayader becomes the 'mountain road'. Until only a couple of years ago the road ran through the arch. Now bypassed, it's safe from the ravages of traffic. There's a picnic area with parking and loos by the arch, and three waymarked trails through wild upland countryside start from here.
- Taken: on 3 April 2009
- Nearest place: Cwmystwyth
- Places to stay around Tregaron
- OnlineWales Internet Ltd © 2009