One of the fourteen locks
On the outskirts of Newport near the village of Rogerstone are the fourteen locks - a staircase system of canal locks which was used to transport narrowboats down, or up, 168 feet in a distance of about half a mile. Opened in 1799, the fourteen locks were in use until about 1930. The top lock in the flight has recently been renovated, and there are plans afoot to restore the remaining 13, and to re-open the Crumlin section of the 'Mon and Brec' Canal.
- Taken: on 4 May 2007
- Nearest place: Rogerstone
- Places to stay around Newport
- OnlineWales Internet Ltd © 2007