The first of two large bridges across the River Severn between England and South Wales, the old Severn Bridge, a large suspension bridge 1597 metres long, opened to traffic on September 8, 1966. Before the bridge was built, traffic had to travel around the top of the estuary via Gloucester, or take a ferry which ran from Aust to Beachley, roughly where the bridge now stands. For more info see Severn Bridges - Operators.
- Taken: on 12 August 2005
- Nearest place: Mathern
- Places to stay around Chepstow
- OnlineWales Internet Ltd © 2005