On the small islet of South Stack Rock, off the north western tip of Holy Island, Anglesey, South Stack lighthouse helps guide shipping in the busy channel into the Mersey. A light has marked this point since 1809, powered by a variety of oil burning lamps until electrification in 1938. Automated in 1984, South Stack is now remotely operated from the Trinity House control centre at Harwich. The lighthouse is open for visitors from April to end September, from 10.30am to 5.30pm. Access is via a steep flight of 400 steps. Tickets can be purchased from the nearby 'South Stack Kitchen' cafÃ©, or at the lighthouse itself. Bus service 22 runs from Holyhead, and there is plenty of parking space for those arriving by car. Call 01248 724444 for more information.