Three castles have stood on this site above Newport, Pembrokeshire. The first was destroyed by Llwellyn the Great in 1215. Rebuilt, it was again destroyed, this time by Llwellyn ap Gruffydd in 1257. Rebuilt again from stone, it was attacked and destroyed by Owain Glyndwr between 1400 and 1409. The ruined structure was bought by a wealthy lawyer, George Owen of Henllys, in 1543, who wanted the lordship rather than the castle. In 1859 the ruined gatehouse was restored as a residence, which stands to this day.